Two memorial plaques rest under majestic sycamore trees at the intersection of Ocean Road and Lily Pond Lane in East Hampton.
These beautiful tributes were placed under the aegis of the Ladies Village Improvement Society’s Memorial Tree Program.
They honor the memory of lives taken much too early:
Jenna Joy Vertullo, aged 43.
Oliver Edward Culver, aged 20.
The beach glass is added by passers-by on their walks back from nearby Main Beach.
The Ladies Village Improvement Society was formed in 1895 “for the maintenance and preservation of historical landmarks and for the maintenance of ponds, parks, greens, and trees in the Village of East Hampton and vicinity, as well as for charitable and educational improvement and the advancement of the general welfare of the Village of East Hampton and vicinity,” according to LVIS. For more information on the program, visit lvis.org.
Village landmark Hook Windmill, also known as Old Hook Mill, is a historic windmill on the Memorial Green, North Main Street in East Hampton, New York. The mill was built in 1806 from logs clear-felled on Gardiner’s Island and shipped via boat and ox team.
The grain mill was operated regularly until 1908 by cabinetmaker Nathaniel Dominy VII, the grandson of the builder. In 1922 the windmill was sold to the town of East Hampton and restored in 1939.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The "Old Hook Mill" is open for visitors on the following days during mid-June to Labor Day: M, Th, F, Sat 10 am to 4 pm; Sunday from 2 pm to 4 pm.
Originally built in 1750, it was believed this charming saltbox was the home of actor, playwright and songwriter John Howard Payne. Legend has it that Payne penned the song, “Home Sweet Home” while in Paris because he missed his abode, but, in fact, Payne never lived in the residence.
Located at 14 James Lane in East Hampton, the seven-room house is a museum that focuses on the likelihood that Gustav and Hannah Buek, a well-to-do couple from Brooklyn, purchased the property in 1907 because they were enchanted by the fabled Home Sweet Home story. When Mr. Buek died in 1927, the village bought the house from his widow.
In 1948, the village presented the home to the East Hampton Historical Society who lovingly restored the structure.