The historic Cedar Point Lighthouse was built in 1839 to guide mariners entering Sag Harbor when the town was the center of whaling and fishing and a magnet for transportation vessels. The structure was replaced in 1868.
Since the Cedar Island Lighthouse was decommissioned in 1934, it has passed through private hands until it became part of Suffolk County’s Cedar Point Park in the late 1960’s.
The lighthouse was originally built on a three-acre island. The hurricane of 1938 created a sandbar connecting Cedar Island to the mainland of East Hampton which is now known as Cedar Point.
Vandalism and weather have taken their toll on the Cedar Island Lighthouse. Its construction of granite from New England has withstood the test of time, but in 1974 a fire gutted the interior of the Lighthouse.
The Long Island chapter of the United States Lighthouse Society has been authorized by Suffolk County Parks to restore and “Relight the Lighthouse”.
Today the Lighthouse grounds are under the care of the Suffolk County Parks Commission.
The 607-acre Cedar Point Park, with commanding views of Gardiner's Bay, offers individual and organized group camping areas. Picnic areas, boat rentals, nature trails, vehicular access to the outer beach (with permit only), surfcasting for bass and bluefish, bicycling and rowboat rentals.
Located at 5 Cedar Point Rd, East Hampton, NY 11937
call 631.852.7620 for info.
How to get there:
Take Montauk Highway, 27east, to Stephen Hands Path in East Hampton. Turn north and continue to Old Northwest Road. Turn right on to Northwest Road. Bear left and continue to Alewive Brook Road. The park entrance is nearly 100 yards down the road.