The library is built on the property of Samuel Buell, East Hampton's third minister appointed in 1746. Buell created the Clinton Academy in 1753 just down the block at 151 Main Street. He founded the original library on that property in 1784. The current library was opened in 1912 and has been expanded over the years. 159 Main Street, 631.324.0222.