The villages and hamlets of the eastern end of Long Island, NY were settled as early as the mid 1600s making them some of the oldest settlements in the country. Southold was settled in 1640 followed by East Hampton in 1648. The eastern end of Long Island has a deep connection to New England and in fact was once a territory belonging to Connecticut.
You can learn more about the fascinating history of the East End at the following historical societies:
Bridgehampton Museum: The museum hosts the annual Road Rally featuring vintage cars, a race and a parade. Visit bhmuseum.org for more info. Located at 2368 Montauk Highway, phone 631.537.1088 for info.
East Hampton Historical Society: Located on the beautiful Main Street of EH, the society comprises seven buildings housing museums, workshops and structures available for rental. Visit easthamptonhistory.org or call 631.324.6850 for info.
East Quogue Historical Society: Check out the online exhibit of Quogue life in the 1920s and 1930s at eastquoguehistorical.org or call 631.653.5517. The Society is located at 580 Montauk Highway.
Mattituck-Laureal Historical Society: Visit mlhistoricalsoceity.org to learn more or call 631.298.5248. The group is located at 18200 Main Road.
Montauk Historical Society: Visit the Second House Museum and Montauk Indian Museum at 12-24 2nd House Rd. The Montauk Lighthouse is at 2000 Montauk Highway. The lighthouse flashes every five seconds and can be seen at a distance of 19 nautical miles.
Quogue Historical Society: The 191-year old one-room schoolhouse structure that houses the historical society has been moved three times. Located at 114 Jessup Ave. Visit quoguehistory.org or call 631.996.2404 for info.
Sag Harbor Historical Society: Visit the structure located at 174 Main St. to learn more about the society's books, deeds, ledgers, etc. Phone: 631.725.5092 or visit sagharborhistorical.org.
Shelter Island Historical Society: Check out the Farmers Market held on Saturdays from May to September at 16 South Ferry St. Learn more by calling 631.749.0025 or shelterislandhistorical.org.
Southampton History Museum: Located at 17 Meeting House Rd., the Museum is 120 years old. Learn more at southamptonhistory.org or call 631.283.2494.
Southold Historical Society: The complex houses an antique shop and a consignment store. Visit woutholdhistoricalsociety.org or call 631.765.5500 to learn more about the Society located at 54325 Main Road.
Click the photo of Paul Consiglio and James Consiglio to read the feature on the East End's premier building company in The Independent.
Thursday, April 25th
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Page at 63 Main, 63 Main Street, Sag Harbor
This is a great opportunity to get to know and socialize with business professionals in the Sag Harbor area. Learn how to use the Chamber’s advertising and promotional calendar to grow your business.
A delightful spot to spend your afternoon or evening, the Canal Cafe is located on Newtown Rd. in Hampton Bays right on the Shinnecock Canal. Serving fresh seafood and a varied bistro-style menu, the Canal Cafe is currently open Thursday - Monday.
Last year, GeekHampton in Sag Harbor, recycled more than 6700 pounds of electronic waste materials. They want to exceed that goal this year. Thank you to GeekHampton for being such a wonderful and responsible member of our community.
GeekHampton is located at 34 Bay St, Sag Harbor, NY 11963. The phone number is: (631) 723-3660
Here are the details:
The Harbormaster’s Office overseas the management and collection of dockage fees for the Sag Harbor Village Marine Facilities. They offer both seasonal and transient dockage and moorings.
For information on transient slip reservations please contact the Harbormasters Office at 631.725.2368.
For annual (seasonal) dockage or moorings please contact Robin du Plessis at the Village Office at 631.725.0222. The boating season in Sag Harbor runs from April 1st through October 31st. Contact the office for reservations.
There are many events coming up to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. The Clubhouse in East Hampton has scheduled a fun weekend of events from March 15 to March 17.
Here is a list of upcoming parades across the East End:
The 15th annual Hampton Bays St. Patrick's Day (www.hbaohdivision11.com) will take place on Saturday, March 23 at 11.m. Grand Marshal Steve Lemanski will be on hand to kick off the event at Hampton Bays Elementary School on Ponquogue Avenue. The parade continues to Montauk Highway and will end at the Hampton Atrium parking lot.
The 57th Annual St. Patrick's Day Parade (www.montaukfriendsoferin.org) will take place on Sunday, March 24. The event begins at Edgemere Road at 12 p.m. and marches up on to Main Street and culminates at the end of Main Street by the IGA. Treat yourself to hot soup ladled by the Montauk Chamber of Commerce on the green starting at 10 a.m. Served in a St. Patrick's Day Parade souvenir mug, the soups are made and donated by local eateries.
The 16th Annual Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner at the The Point Bar & Grill is on Saturday March 9 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. The Behan's Annual Grand Marshal Luncheon, honoring "Gordon Ryan Esq," takes place on Friday, March 22 from 12 to 3 p,m. at Gurney's Inn. The Montauk St. Patrick's Day Parade Gala Cocktail Party will be held at at Gurney's Inn Saturday March 23 from 4 to 8 p.m. Open food buffet, open bar and a live band with Remember September are part of the fun.
East End Emerald Society (eastendemeraldsociety.com) will present its Sixth Annual St. Patrick's Day Parade in the town of Jamesport on Saturday, March 30. Grand Marshal, Former Chief of Police, Joseph Grattan Sr., will lead the march that launches at North Railroad Avenue and Washington Avenue at 12 p.m., ending at the Jamesport Fire Department.
Closed for the winter season, the Montauk Point Lighthouse will reopen to welcome visitors on March 23. Check out the Museum, the Tower and the Gift Shop.
The Montauk Point Lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse in New York State. The Lighthouse was authorized by the Second Congress, under President George Washington, in 1792. Construction began on June 7, 1796, and was completed on November 5, 1796. It still serves as an aid to navigation.
The Montauk Point Lighthouse was designated a National Historic Landmark in recognition of the property’s national significance in the history of the United States on March 5, 2012, by the Secretary of the Interior.
* Children up to 12 years old. Minimum height requirement to climb tower is 41”.
There is an $8 parking fee; visitors 62 and older with a valid NYS driver's license may park for free.